IT FINALLY HAPPENED!!!
My new gas range has arrived and I am back in business!! Between the microwave and the crock pot, I am just craving different textures, and this oven could not have come at a better time. As soon as the installation crew left yesterday afternoon, I ran to the supermarket, bought some delicious salmon, and came back home to get cooking.
I am always surprised when people say “I don’t like salmon”. In my mind that just means they haven’t had good salmon yet. There are so many things that I love about this fish, 1) it is one of the easiest things to cook, and 2) It is delicious when hot right out of the oven, but totally works as leftovers and is just as delicious. I often make salmon as part of my meal prep for that very reason.
I found this recipe on Gimme Some Oven (https://www.gimmesomeoven.com), which has so many delicious recipes, meal prep ideas, all so colorful and full of variety – definitely worth checking out!! What sold me on it was the honey mustard spread with whole grain mustard. LOVE MUSTARD. With only about a 25-30 minute prep + cook time, it could not be a better option for a quick and delicious meal at the end of a long day.
Honey Mustard Sauce:
-1/3c. whole grain mustard
-4 cloves garlic, minced
-2T fresh lemon juice
-1/4t smoked paprika
-1/4t kosher salt
-1/8t black pepper
Honey Mustard Salmon:
-Large filet of salmon (I usually get a full filet so I can portion it up for later in the week)
–1T finely chopped flat leaf parsley
1. Heat oven to 375º (or grill to medium heat)
2. Prepare honey mustard sauce
–add all ingredients listed above into small bowl and whisk until combined
3. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil, lightly mist foil with cooking spray, and lay salmon filet onto the middle of the baking sheet.
4. Spread the honey mustard evenly over the top of the salmon, coating evenly and generously so it is completely covered.
5. Tent the foil over the salmon so it is completely closed in on all sides.
6. If baking in the oven, bake for about 15-18 minutes depending on the thickness of the salmon. Check to see if it flakes apart easily, and add more time if needed – cook until ALMOST done, but not completely. Remove from oven, open up aluminum foil so fish is exposed, switch oven to broil (high) and return to oven. Broil for about 3-4 minutes or until fish is cooked through.
–if grilling, tent in tinfoil, and transfer it to the grill. Grill for 14-18 minutes, or until salmon is almost cooked through. Open the foil, and continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes until fish is completely cooked through
7. Remove salmon from oven, sprinkle salmon with parsley and serve immediately.
I served the salmon over jasmine rice with spinach & green beans that had been sautéed with garlic and lemon, but the flavor of this dish is so easy to mix and match sides with. So if you ARE prepping this, it would be really simple to serve this with something different each day so you don’t get tired of the exact same meal for lunch all week!
WHEN (not if) I make this again, I would probably reduce the honey and lemon just a little and add more mustard so the sauce can be a bit thicker, but honestly, this recipe is SO GOOD, and definitely worth trying out!